Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Just not right...

When you have been mistreated, it is difficult to get over it sometimes. Especially when there is nothing you can do about it. We all have this happen in our personal life, but when it happens in the workplace it is a whole different issue. The situation leaves you questioning your own self-worth as a person and an employee. Not only do you feel bitterness and resentment toward the person or persons involved in your mistreatment, you unconsciously begin to resent the company you work for all together. You go through all the emotions of feeling wronged, mad, hurt, startled, wounded and even sad. Somewhere through the phases of feelings, you even begin to want to strike back somehow. You begin to build a case against them in your mind. You feel a righteously indignant anger. Naturally, you want to act out on these impulses so you will feel the satisfaction of releasing the bad feelings. Unfortunately, to do so would be the worst thing you can do. The Buddha once said, “Getting angry with another person is like throwing hot coals with bare hands: both people get burned.” Easier said than done, right? You bet. Currently, I am in a situation like this. Because I am a transparent person, I will share my story.
                First of all, I have worked for my current organization for almost ten years. I started off on the factory floor and in that time, I have worked full time and overtime hours while achieving my bachelor’s degree. Not only did I get my degree, but I did it with a 3.8 GPA. Now, I am only five courses away from obtaining my master’s degree with a 4.0 GPA. I have been a loyal employee for all of my years at my current company. I have had only stellar performance reviews that whole time and my supervisors over the years have always said that I go above and beyond. I have shared in previous blog posts that I have applied to several positions to no avail and recently had another experience as such. This time, however, has left me with a deep feeling of bitterness and anger which I am having a lot of trouble getting over. Up to this point, I always gave my employer the benefit of the doubt. I have always tried to see the bright side and keep telling myself to be patient. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t struggling with this now. What happened, you ask? Okay, so I had a hiring manager contact me and tell me that he had a position that he thought I would be interested in. I checked out the position and even had a meeting with another person who has the same position to find out just what the job was all about. Honestly, the job was perfect for me. I had many of the skills essential to perform the job well plus my years of service in the organization had provided me with an awesome working knowledge of the company. I applied to the job, went through the 3 hour interview process and felt very confident. Then, after hearing nothing for weeks, I contacted the hiring manager to inquire about the status of the position. He informed me that I had not been chosen. I immediately asked for a meeting at which I could receive feedback. I asked what I could have done better, or what I should work on in order to gain the necessary experience and qualities for next time. The hiring manager literally told me that the only reason I did not get the position was because the person he chose had just a little more experience than I did. Okay. I can handle that. Unfortunately, it did not end there. Later, I found out that the person who was hired actually had NO experience in the industry of our organization. Not only did this person have no experience in our industry, the person had no experience with the position being hired for. Oh, did I mention that the person who got hired is actually married to someone who currently works in our facility? And that person is friends with the hiring manager? Hmmmm?

Unfortunately, I just can’t seem to get over it. I realize that this sort of thing probably happens all the time, but frankly, it pisses me off for all of those out there who are like me. Those who have been loyal, dedicated, productive employees who get discriminated against simply because they are not related to or buddies with someone in upper management. Where do I go from here? I don’t know yet, but I do know that the way the managers behave is not a reflection of me or my own knowledge, skills, and abilities. What I must realize is that character is not something that goes out of fashion or that can be changed easily or from person to person. Maybe I will be persecuted for standing up for myself and for the many others who are wronged because of nepotism and cronyism, but my own character does not allow me to not speak up. At this point, I still have no idea what I will do. I am trying to move past the whole thing, but truthfully, I am finding it to be an impossible task. I am a talented, intelligent, loyal and hard-working employee who has been very, very wronged. 

No comments:

Post a Comment